
George Town Methodist
George Town, Tasmania
This Chapel was officially registered in April 1888. It has been documented that Mr. Widowson seems to have been the life of the church, he is reported to have rung the bell, played the...
- Denomination
- Methodist
- Region
- North
- Year Built
- Unknown
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
This Chapel was officially registered in April 1888.
It has been documented that Mr. Widowson seems to have been the life of the church, he is reported to have rung the bell, played the organ, taken up offering and preached the sermons at many a service. Another family associated with the Chapel was that of Colonel Davies, General Manager of the Beaconsfield Gold Mine and resident of the historical site “The Grove”.
The Chapel, formerly located on a small block of land, York Cove (mid section of Woolworths carpark) was moved to its present location during the 1950s when the existing hall was erected and open during the ministry or Pastor A. Blackley.
The adjoining hall was built for the influx of migrants to the district and also served the community as a Sunday School.
The ladies of the community spent many hours at the stove each Saturday preparing and baking 100s of scones for the volunteers during the construction of the hall.
The hall served the community for many functions and social outing such as Christmas concerts, badminton, Progressive dinners and even a Ballet School.
Regular services in the chapel ceased in 1973 when the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations decided to unite and worship in St Andrews Presbyterian church.
The original bell for the Chapel has been relocated to the Uniting Church in Goulburn Street, George Town, and was officially recommissioned on the 1st of January 2001 in time for the Australian wide bell ringing.
George Town became a central focus in the missionary efforts after 1919, replacing Lefroy, which had previously been part of the Beaconsfield Circuit. Initially, Lefroy served as a Home Mission Station with missionaries stationed there until the end of 1919. Following that year, George Town was listed in the station records, taking over Lefroy’s role.
History
1888
chapel officially registered
opened1950s
existing hall erected and opened at the chapel's present location
opened1973
regular services in the chapel ceased
closed2001
bell officially recommissioned at the Uniting Church in Goulburn Street, George Town
reopened
Gallery
References
- J G Branagan, George Town: History of the Town and District, Regal Press, Launceston, 1994Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- Church's Large Following (1953, December 4). Examiner (Launceston, Tas.: 1900 - 1954), p. 4
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- George Tn. Church's New Hall (1953, July 13). Examiner (Launceston, Tas.: 1900 - 1954), p. 4
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Moved to 'Lake House' Cressy
Open
Not recorded
Address
George Town, George Town TAS 7253
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


