
St Johns Schoolhouse & Chapel
North Bruny Island, Tasmania
In July 1845, The Herald of Tasmania reported the generous donation of land by Mr. Pybus near Barnes’s Bay, intended for the construction of a religious building. The report noted: ... Mr....
- Denomination
- Not recorded
- Region
- South
- Year Built
- 1850
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
In July 1845, The Herald of Tasmania reported the generous donation of land by Mr. Pybus near Barnes’s Bay, intended for the construction of a religious building. The report noted:
- ... Mr. Pybus has offered the free gift of a convenient site near Barnes’s Bay for the erection of a similar building; at which places the Catechist recently licensed by the Bishop will be enabled alternately to officiate ...*
The chapel was subsequently established near Lodge Hill, overlooking Simmons Bay, and functioned as a place of worship from 1846 until 1897. In 1898, it was repurposed as a school, serving the local community until its closure in 1908. Following the school’s closure, the school was moved to the Cricket Hall at Barnes Bay, where it continued to serve an educational purpose.
In 1920, the original church structure was lost to bushfires, leaving only a commemorative plaque as a testament to its existence and significance in the region’s ecclesiastical and educational history.
The following information has been supplied by Kathy Duncombe of Bruny Island.
Built c1850 it stood on the hillside to the left of what is now the corner of the Bruny Island main road and Missionary Rd. It served as a Chapel/School until c1920 when a fire raged through the area and destroyed it. The land was donated by Richard & Hannah Pybus who received a land grant in 1829.
Fenton Delaney married Margaret Mc Dermott here in 1852, but to date not many other records have come to light. In 1997 the Bruny Island Historical Society placed a cairn (below) to mark the spot. This created a few problems with farm machinery, so a little church was made by Michael Duncombe (below) and placed on a post high enough to detect by farmers when utilising farm machinery.
Our thanks to Kathy Duncombe and the Bruny Island Historical Society Inc.
History
July 1845
land donated for a religious building near Barnes's Bay
1846
chapel established near Lodge Hill and began functioning as a place of worship
opened1852
marriage of Fenton Delaney and Margaret Mc Dermott at the church
1897
chapel ceased to function as a place of worship
closed1898
building repurposed as a school
renamed1908
school closed
closed1920
original church structure lost to bushfires
destroyed1997
Bruny Island Historical Society placed a cairn to mark the site
heritage listed
Gallery
References
- Kathy Duncombe, editor, St. Peters Church, Variety Bay, Bruny Island : baptism/burial & marriage index, 1998, Bruny Island, p. 5Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- Bruny Island Historical Society Inc
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Barnes Bay Chapel and Cemetery Assn Wesite
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- REPORT (1845, July 18). The Herald of Tasmania (Hobart, Tas.: 1845), p. 2
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Not recorded
Open
Not recorded
Address
Barnes Bay, North Bruny Island TAS 7150
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


