
St George's
Burnie, Tasmania
Moves were undertaken by Burnie's new rector, Bernard Bourdillon to replace the humble wooden chapel on the hill which had served the community for 32 years. A meeting held on the 19th...
- Denomination
- Anglican
- Region
- North West
- Year Built
- 1885
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
Moves were undertaken by Burnie's new rector, Bernard Bourdillon to replace the humble wooden chapel on the hill which had served the community for 32 years. A meeting held on the 19th January 1882 resulted in a decision to investigate possible new sites for the church. Four possible sites were proposed.
- The allotment where the existing church stood.
- The four allotments of Church property situated between Mount and Wilson Streets and fronting West Beach.
- Two allotments at the angle of Mount and Cattley Streets, the property of the VDL Co.
- A piece of ground at the west end of Cattley Street, the property of Mr. William Jones.
The existing site was deemed too uneven and rocky. The property owned by the VDL Co. at the angle of Mount and Cattley Streets was agreed the best location. An exchange of sites was agreed upon by both parties.
On Sunday the 1st February 1884 the foundation stone for St George's Church was laid by William Moore, MLC, Chief Secretary and Minister for Lands and Works.
Due to a hold up of materials supplied from Melbourne there was a delay in the progress of the building. The nave of the church was opened on the 4th December 1885 by the Rt. Rev. Daniel Fox Sandford, this was nearly two years the laying of the foundation stone.
The church could seat approximately 200 people on individual chairs, these had been imported from England. They remained in the church until the 1930s after termites rendered the chairs unsafe.
The Rev. Keith A. Kay, had been the rector of the church for 14 years in 1958. Rev. Kay was instrumental in having the church redesigned and rebuilt during 1959-60. The foundation stone was laid by the Rt. Rev. G.F. Cranswick the Bishop of Tasmania on the 28th November 1959. It was rededicated on the 3rd December 1960.
This church is still in use today.
See also Emu Bay Chapel on the Hill, No. 1208.
History
1882-01-19
decision to investigate new sites for the church
founded1882
exchange of sites agreed for the new church location
1884-02-01
foundation stone for St George's Church laid
consecrated1885-12-04
nave of the church opened
opened1959-1960
church redesigned and rebuilt
rebuilt1959-11-28
foundation stone laid for the rebuilt church
consecrated1960-12-03
church rededicated
dedicated
Gallery
References
- Kerry Pink, A place to worship : a history of St. George's Anglican Church, Burnie, The Church, 1984Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- Tasmanian Archives, NS2937/1/570, John Immig (NG2446)
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Still in use
Open
Not recorded
Address
52 Mount Street cnr Cattley Street, Burnie TAS 7320
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


