
Georgian Chapel
Launceston, Tasmania
The Examiner newspaper dated 20 January 1976 printed a series of articles on Historic Buildings of the North, this building was one of them. Mr. Geoffrey Eager was granted the land in 1830...
- Denomination
- unknown
- Region
- North
- Year Built
- Unknown
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Heritage listed
Overview
The Examiner newspaper dated 20 January 1976 printed a series of articles on Historic Buildings of the North, this building was one of them.
Mr. Geoffrey Eager was granted the land in 1830 and in turn sold it to Mr. William Lachlan Jordan a Tailor in 1934. A series of people lived in the property, some of which were: Henry Reading, Rev. Augustus Barkway, the rector of St Paul's. Church of England, a Mr. James Ballard and Miss Sarah Gladman who was employed at a ladies College.
Over the years the building retained its 24 panned sash windows, but the shutters did not survive. The front door has a simple radial fanlight above. Earlier days the cottage was red brick but has since been painted over.
The Examiner states:
A few years ago the interior was gutted to provide a chapel for the Christian Revival Crusade, the present owners who took much care to preserve the exterior.
History
1830
land granted to Geoffrey Eager
purchased1934
land sold to William Lachlan Jordan
sold
Gallery
References
- The Examiner newspaper, 20 Jan 1976, p4Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Accommodation
Open
Not recorded
Address
150 George Street, Launceston TAS 7250
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


