
Emu Bay Chapel on the Hill
Burnie, Tasmania
George Augustus Robinson is recorded as holding the first Christian service in Emu Bay during his four years wandering around Tasmania seeking Aboriginal people in the 1830s. In 1849 a...
- Denomination
- Anglican
- Region
- North West
- Year Built
- 1849
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
George Augustus Robinson is recorded as holding the first Christian service in Emu Bay during his four years wandering around Tasmania seeking Aboriginal people in the 1830s.
In 1849 a petition signed by several locals with a list of 27 donors offering to donate £64 towards the cost to build a chapel was sent to the London Court of Directors of the VDL Co. by Mr. James Gibson, the resident manager, requesting a grant of land on which to build a chapel.
It is believed the first church was constructed of small palings with shingles was built overlooking Emu Bay on land donated by the VDL Co.
Carpenter Mr. Thomas Wiseman built a church on land on the northern side of Wilmot Street, fronting Marine Terrace. The following report was in the Cornwall Chronicle 19th November 1850:
BERNIE (sic) Settlement.— About 1 p.m., on the 19th October, (Friday) ... the Rev. Mr. Greig (sic) arrived overland from Circular Head, visited the Protestant Chapel, and took apartments at the 'Emu Inn'. I was informed that the Lord Bishop of Tasmania presented a ' doucer' of £25, to expedite the completion of the chapel which expected to be finished about the end of November ... On the afternoon of Sunday, 20th October, the Rev. Mr. Greig performed Divine Service in the Protestant Chapel, which was prepared specially for the occasion.
On the 16th July 1855 Bishop Nixon licensed the church, performing Divine Service and other Ecclesiastical duties. This little chapel with humble beginnings survived until 1884.
See also St George's No. 29
History
1830s
first Christian service held in Emu Bay
1849
first church constructed overlooking Emu Bay
built1849
petition sent requesting land and a grant toward building a chapel
1850-10-20
divine service performed in the Protestant Chapel
1850
church built on the northern side of Wilmot Street, fronting Marine Terrace
built1850
chapel expected to be finished
completed1855-07-16
Bishop Nixon licensed the church
consecrated1884
chapel survived until
Gallery
References
- Kerry Pink, And Wealth for Toil : a history of North-West and Western Tasmania 1825-1900, Burnie, 1990, p. 187Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Kerry Pink, A place to worship : a history of St. George's Anglican Church, Burnie, The Church, 1984Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
No longer exisits
Open
Not recorded
Address
Burnie, Burnie TAS 7320
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


