
Lefroy Methodist Church
Lefroy, Tasmania
By 1879, both the Methodist and Anglican denominations had firmly established their presence at the Springs, conducting regular religious services for the local community. The Wesleyans, in...
- Denomination
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Region
- North
- Year Built
- Unknown
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
By 1879, both the Methodist and Anglican denominations had firmly established their presence at the Springs, conducting regular religious services for the local community. The Wesleyans, in particular, had begun operating a Sunday school. On February 1st, the school celebrated its anniversary with a morning sermon delivered by the missionary Mr. Blackett, followed by an evening sermon from Mr. Baker. The next day, a public meeting was held under the leadership of the school’s superintendent, Mr. Foote, to present the annual report. The event featured musical performances by the choir, under the direction of Mr. Higgs, with Mrs. James Barrett accompanying on the cabinet organ, providing a fitting conclusion to the gathering.
The Wesleyan Methodist Church was situated in close proximity to the Chum Tramway, a vital transportation route that extended between the New Native Youth Battery and the New Chum Mine
The following notice appeared in the Launceston Examiner on 8th July 1881. This church was located on the corner of Franklin and Dundas Street on the map.
The members of the Wesleyan body Lefroy, solicit assistance to aid them in the erection of a church there.
The Examiner newspaper 16th February 1949:
OLD CHURCH MAY BE DISMANTLED
Forty-two years ago Rev. J. C. Brown, Launceston conducted his first service in the old Methodist Church at Lefroy, where he was born. On Sunday he conducted what possibly might be the last service held in the historic old church, which has fallen into disrepair and faces dismantling and removal to Launceston.
Mr. Brown offered to officiate at the service after he had conferred with another former Lefroy resident, the headmaster of West Launceston School (Mr. J. F. Turner) . The congregation on Sunday numbering over 90, was comprised of many people who had formerly lived at Lefroy and who had attended service in the old church. It included many former choir members ...
Regular services have not been held in the church for many years, but there is a movement on foot among local residents to restore the building.
History
1879
Wesleyans began operating a Sunday school at the Springs
founded1881-07-08
Notice solicited assistance for the erection of a church at Lefroy
1949-02-16
Possible last service held in the old Methodist Church at Lefroy before dismantling
Gallery
References
- The Weekly Courier newspaper, 10 Apr 1913, p. 24, photographer possibly Matthew BrownTasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Peter Cox, Lefroy : Tasmania's Forgotten Gold Town, George Town and District Historical Society, George Town, 2016, pp 37, 50, 57, 64, 88, 91, 92 & 96Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- OLD CHURCH MAY BE DISMANTLED (1949, February 16). Examiner (Launceston, Tas.: 1900 - 1954), p. 6
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Map - L/13, Lefroy, Lands & Surveys Department, AF721-1-367, Tasmanian Archives
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- 1881, July 08 ( Launceston Examiner (Tas.: 1842 - 1899), p. 2. Retrieved 2020, August 03
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
No longer exists
Open
Not recorded
Address
Franklin Street, cnr Hope Street, Lefroy TAS 7252
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


