
Oatlands Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Oatlands, Tasmania
In the year 1832, a survey conducted by Surveyor William Sharland revealed that W. Foord held a possession of three acres, strategically bounded by High and Wellington Streets, as recorded...
- Denomination
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Region
- Midlands
- Year Built
- 1841
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
In the year 1832, a survey conducted by Surveyor William Sharland revealed that W. Foord held a possession of three acres, strategically bounded by High and Wellington Streets, as recorded in the Crown Property Office. By the latter part of the 1830s, these three acres had transitioned into the ownership of Joseph Wright, as documented in a memorandum held in the Deeds Office. Subsequently, these acres underwent gradual subdivision into smaller parcels of land. On the 30th June 1840, a segment of this subdivided land was conveyed to the Wesleyan Society.
On the 11th May 1838 a section of the land was consecrated by Bishop Broughton as a churchyard and cemetery for Christian residents of the area.
Oatlands historian, Mr. J.S. Weeding wrote that a chapel was completed in 1841 at a cost of £201. This small chapel was constructed of freestone and measured 31 feet in length and 21 feet wide. It featured a date stone prominently placed above its entrance, a roof clad in shingles, and two windows adorning each side of the structure.
Between the years 1841 and 1847, Campbell Town was integrated into the Oatlands Circuit. In 1849, the Circuit expanded to include Bothwell. However, the Oatlands Circuit ceased operations in 1854, only to be re-established in 1859, at which juncture Bothwell was reintegrated.
This church ceased functioning in 1911 and subsequently served as a meeting place for the Girl Guides. In 1958, the structure was demolished, and its stone material was acquired by a stone and memorial firm based in Launceston.
Presently, remnants of the church's stone foundations can still be discerned, along with several headstones, which bear silent witness to its historical presence.
This site is listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register as follows:
The former Wesleyan Chapel site and cemetery at Oatlands is of historic significance as it demonstrates the spread dissenting congregations in rural Tasmania, particularly in the Southern Midlands district, during the early to mid-19th century. The Wesleyan Chapel Site & Cemetery …
History
latter part of the 1830s
Land transferred to Joseph Wright
1832
Land possession recorded for W. Foord
1838-05-11
Land consecrated as a churchyard and cemetery
consecrated1840-06-30
A section of the subdivided land conveyed to the Wesleyan Society
transferred1841
Chapel completed
completed1841-1847
Campbell Town integrated into the Oatlands Circuit
1849
Circuit expanded to include Bothwell
1854
Oatlands Circuit ceased operations
closed1859
Oatlands Circuit re-established and Bothwell reintegrated
1911
Church ceased functioning
closed1958
Church demolished and stone acquired by a Launceston firm
demolished
Gallery
References
- Pearce B Barber, Midlands Methodism, the story of a hundred years, 1836-1936, Launceston, 1936, p. 28Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- M.E.J. Stansall, Tasmanian Methodism 1820-1975, Methodist Church of Australasia, Launceston, 1975, p. 35Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Tasmanian Heritage Register, THR ID No. 10103Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- The Churches and Cemeteries of Oatlands, notes from a tour in 2015 by Mrs. Joan Cantwell, Oatlands District Historical Society Inc. Chronicle, No. 9 October 2016, pp 51-58Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
Services
Remains of foundations
Open
Not recorded
Address
37a Wellington Street, Oatlands TAS 7120
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


