
Deloraine First Church of England
Deloraine, Tasmania
The first church was erected upon a plot of land situated near the heart of the township, a site later occupied by the establishment of Mr. Furmage's store. The endeavor was financially...
- Denomination
- Church of England (Anglican)
- Region
- North
- Year Built
- 1845
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
The first church was erected upon a plot of land situated near the heart of the township, a site later occupied by the establishment of Mr. Furmage's store. The endeavor was financially supported through the generous benefaction of Mr. William Bonney. An interim wooden edifice was constructed, with the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone being conducted by Bishop Francis Russell on the 2nd of May, 1845.
According to an article in The Courier newspaper published in April 1845, the Lord Bishop of Tasmania was scheduled to announce the establishment of a new church in Deloraine. This event was set to take place at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, the 29th of that month.
The first services in Deloraine were held in the court-house then in 1845 a small wooden chapel was built on the western side of the river (Emu Bay Road). The first Bishop of Tasmania, Dr. Francis Nixon in 1847 was licensed to perform the office of missionary chaplain for the 'Parish of Calstock'.
This small wooden church proved inadequate for the ever-growing population, so a larger church was built over on the eastern side of the river.
The following notice appeared in the newspaper:
The old notice, at Deloraine'
church, last Sunday during service, was given out by the clergyman -" This to give notice
there will be no service in this place next
Sunday." There are nearly five hundred souls
in the vicinity of Deloraine who want a cure,
and thirteen Sundays in the year are without
hearing the word of God - ibid.
On visit to Deloraine in 1894 'The Tramp' No 16 in the series wrote:
- a wooden building, which was of later years used as a school, and was pulled down only a few years ago to make room for St. Mark's Sunday-school.
St. Mark's Sunday-school has accommodated a diverse array of occupants over the years. In the early 2000s, it functioned as a martial arts centre. As of March 2024, the rear section of the building remains visible, as evidenced by a Google Street View image you can see from West Barrack Street.
See St Mark's No 55
History
1845-05-02
interim wooden edifice constructed
built1845
small wooden chapel built on the western side of the river
built1845
first church established in Deloraine
founded1847
larger church built on the eastern side of the river
built1847
Dr. Francis Nixon licensed as missionary chaplain for the Parish of Calstock
circa 1894
wooden building pulled down to make room for St. Mark's Sunday-school
demolished
Gallery
References
- K R Von Stieglitz, A Short History of Deloraine with some notes on the surrounding district, Evandale, 1950, p. 21Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- The Weekly Courier newspaper, 15 Apr 1905, p. 17, photographers Spurling and SonTasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- J R Skemp, A History of Deloraine : from the earliest settlement to the present day, Launceston, 1964, p. 24Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- K Bonny (Complier), Tasmania Regal Press, Launceston, 1985? p. 70Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- D Henslowe, Our Heritage of Anglican Churches in Tasmania, Printed by Mercury-Walsh, Moonah, 1978, p. 21-22Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- Domestic Intelligence (1848, June 30). Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas.: 1828 - 1857), p. 3. Retrieved January 23, 2018
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- DELORAINE PAST AND PRESENT. (1894, February 3). Daily Telegraph (Launceston, Tas.: 1883 - 1928), p. 6
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- LOCAL. (1845, April 15). The Courier (Hobart, Tas.: 1840 - 1859), p. 2
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Martial arts centre
Open
Not recorded
Address
13 Emu Bay Road, Deloraine TAS 7304
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


