
City Mission Chapel (Frederick Street Chapel)
Launceston, Tasmania
The Primitive Methodist Church had been using the Wycliffe Chapel since 1858, but upon the arrival of a new minister was galvanised to build its own premises. Plan were by the mainland...
- Denomination
- Primitive Methodist
- Region
- North
- Year Built
- 1862
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Heritage listed
Overview
The Primitive Methodist Church had been using the Wycliffe Chapel since 1858, but upon the arrival of a new minister was galvanised to build its own premises. Plan were by the mainland architect John Henry Willson (aka Wiltson). Six years later, Willson won the competition for the design of the Sydney Town Hall. The church was opened for worship on 10th August 1862.
Following an amalgamation of various strands of the Methodist Church in 1902, in 1943 the property was sold to City Mission. The mission had been established in 1854 by a group of Launceston’s citizens who had concern for the urban poor. Since 1943, it has consolidated its operations around this building.
It is now the City Mission's Max Bushby Centre.
History
1862-08-10
church opened for worship
opened1943
property sold to City Mission
sold
Gallery
References
- Nineteenth Century Launceston Churches, prepared by the Launceston Historical Society, 1992Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Ian Boersma, Launceston's historic churches and organs tour, 2021Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- Tasmanian Archives, LPIC22/1/101, Henry Lewis (NG2661)
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Max Bushby Centre
Open
Not recorded
Address
46 Frederick Street, Launceston TAS 7250
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded

