
St Patrick's
Scottsdale, Tasmania
Official Church records show the North East Mission and Scottsdale began in 1878, with Miss Noonan's Catholic School proving the spiritual needs. Fundraising activities began in 1881 with...
- Denomination
- Catholic
- Region
- North
- Year Built
- 1885
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
Official Church records show the North East Mission and Scottsdale began in 1878, with Miss Noonan's Catholic School proving the spiritual needs.
Fundraising activities began in 1881 with the object being to build a church. In December 1883 the Catholic Archbishop, the Most Rev. Dr. Murphy visited the Scottsdale area and inspected the proposed site for the new church.
The first St Patrick's church was built in a central location on the present day site of Kendall's Hotel, on land given by Mr. D. Smith. It was reported in the Tasmanian Catholic Standard of 1885 that the church was completed by June of that year. The church was not dedicated and officially opened until the 20th February 1887.
The church had rather low foundations and had a slight declivity from the road, it was not seen to best advantage.
In December 1909 the church building was moved by a team of 80 bullocks to further along George Street and placed behind where the current church now stands. The church was re-opened on Sunday 8th January 1910 by the Right Rev. Monsignor Beechinor.
A dream of a new church was erected under the supervision of Father Terry Rush, a new priest to the area; who was in his twenties. Although the parish was in debt when he arrived the new church was completed free of debt.
'The Log Cabin Church' as it was known was opened by the Archbishop Sir Guilford Young on the 10th December 1978. This was the first church in Tasmania to be built in that style and from locally sourced timber. The timber used was treated pine logs with King Billy pine used for the windows and doors. The building measured 17 squares with carpet over a concreate floor.
Disaster occurred on Thursday the 3rd December 1992 when an Advent Wreath of candles was accidently left alight. By the time the local fire brigade arrived the building was fully engulfed. Father Walsh wasted no time in planning a replacement church. For a time the C.W.A. Hall was used for Mass.
Tenders were called for a modern brick building, this would be the third St Patrick's Church. Archbishop Eric D'Arcy opened the church on the 3rd February 1994.
History
1878
North East Mission and Scottsdale began
founded1881
Fundraising began to build a church
December 1883
Archbishop Murphy visited the Scottsdale area and inspected the proposed site for the new church
1885
First St Patrick's Church built on the present-day Kendall's Hotel site
builtJune 1885
First St Patrick's Church completed
completed1887-02-20
First St Patrick's Church dedicated and officially opened
dedicatedDecember 1909
Church building moved further along George Street
relocated1910-01-08
Church reopened after being moved
reopened1978
New church completed free of debt under Father Terry Rush
completed1978-12-10
The Log Cabin Church opened by Archbishop Sir Guilford Young
opened1992-12-03
The Log Cabin Church was destroyed by fire
destroyed1994-02-03
Third St Patrick's Church opened by Archbishop Eric D'Arcy
opened
Gallery
References
- The Tasmanian Mail newspaper, 23 Jan 1909, p. 21, photographer unknownTasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Margaret E. Fairburn, The flickering flame : Catholicism in north-east Tasmania, 1877-2011, Launceston, 2011, pp 28-52Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Still in use
Open
Not recorded
Address
52 George Street, Scottsdale TAS 7260
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded

