
St David's Mission Chapel
Hobart, Tasmania
St David's Mission Chapel (Mission of the Cathedral) in Campbell Street is situated in the area known as Wapping. The Mercury newspaper gives the following account of its early development:...
- Denomination
- Anglican
- Region
- South
- Year Built
- 1884
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Heritage listed
Overview
St David's Mission Chapel (Mission of the Cathedral) in Campbell Street is situated in the area known as Wapping. The Mercury newspaper gives the following account of its early development:
ST DAVID'S MISSION CHAPEL - It is now over two years since a movement was set on foot to establish a mission chapel in connection with St. David's Cathedral, with the object of more effectively reaching the poorer classes of the city ... The site chosen for the new chapel is Lower Campbell-street, a few doors below Lower Collins-street, and opposite the Exhibition-building.
The architect was Mr. Henry Hunter of Macquarie Street. The plain Gothic style building was to be built of brick with stone dressings, at a cost of £1,500. Inside the building was one long nave measuring 81 feet by 32 feet with a 19 feet screened off chancel. The chapel could accommodate around 300 people. Messrs. Sharpe, Harrison and Inches were the contractors, it was expected to be completed by April 1885. The corner-stone was laid by the Bishop of Tasmania, the Right Rev. Dr. Sandford on the 24th November 1884.
The opening and dedication of the chapel took place on the 13th July 1885 by Right Rev. Dr. Sandford, Bishop of Tasmania. The cost was reported to have been about £2000 with a considerable sum still to be paid. It was reported In the fitting up many timely and liberal gifts has been utilised.
In 1914 the chapel was closed, by then it was free from debt and in 1915 it became the Flying Angel Mission to Seamen. The chapel adequately provided sailors rooms for recreation covering both WWI and WW2.
See also The Mission to Seamen Hobart Station No. 666
Sold in 2008 the building has been an art gallery and recently a private residence (see links)
History
1884-11-24
corner-stone laid for the chapel
built1885-07-13
chapel opened and dedicated
opened1914
chapel closed
closed1915
became the Flying Angel Mission to Seamen
renamed2008
building sold
sold
Gallery
References
- D Henslowe, Our Heritage of Anglican Churches in Tasmania, Printed by Mercury-Walsh, Moonah, 1978, p. 73Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Robyn Everist, Churches of Colonial Hobart - A field guide to Hobart's history in 24 buildings, Hobart History Publishing, Hobart, 2018, p. 4Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- TELEGRAMS. (1885, July 13). Daily Telegraph (Launceston, Tas.: 1883 - 1928), p. 2. Retrieved June 25, 2022
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- ST. DAVID'S MISSION CHAPEL. (1884, November 25). The Mercury (Hobart, Tas.: 1860 - 1954), p. 3. Retrieved June 25, 2022
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- realestate.com.au
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Private residence
Open
Not recorded
Address
7 Campbell Street, Hobart TAS 7000
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded


