
St Barnabas' (old)
Newnham, Tasmania
St. Barnabas Anglican Church at Newnham has a rich and colorful history, dating back to the mid-19th century when the area was still a rural district. In 1859, the parish of Holy Trinity in...
- Denomination
- Anglican
- Region
- North
- Year Built
- 1906
- Architectural Style
- Church
- Heritage Status
- Not recorded
Overview
St. Barnabas Anglican Church at Newnham has a rich and colorful history, dating back to the mid-19th century when the area was still a rural district. In 1859, the parish of Holy Trinity in Launceston extended its boundaries to include the municipality of Newnham. The old Newnham Church of England served as both a church and school, offering education to the local children from the nearby estates.
However, with the departure of the Rev. Aug. Barkway and the closure of the Old Newnham Church of England, the community was in need of a new place to worship. In response to this need, the community came together and purchased a piece of land for 25 pounds from Mr. J.C. McMichael. The tender for the building of the new church was awarded to J. & T. Gunn.
The new St. Barnabas Anglican Church was built with care and dedication, and on 25th October 1906, it was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. J.E. Manser. For over a century, the unpretentious weatherboard church has served the community, providing a place for worship and fostering a sense of community spirit. Despite its humble appearance, the little church holds a special place in the hearts of the people of Newnham, a testament to the dedication and perseverance of the community that built it.
The Bishop's charge of 1923 states that a chancel had been built. In 1959 a new hall was opened nearby and this was made into a church hall in 1966. This was converted into a modern church, and dedicated in June 1968, extensions having been added.
The black and white photograph shows the placing of the bell.
A new modern building replaced the little wooden church.
History
1859
Parish boundaries extended to include Newnham
1906-10-25
St. Barnabas Anglican Church dedicated by Rt. Rev. J.E. Manser
dedicated1923
Chancel had been built
1959
New hall opened nearby
opened1966
Hall converted into a church hall
June 1968
Church converted into a modern church and dedicated
dedicated
Gallery
References
- S.R. Robinson, written by Mrk Roberts, One hundred and ten years after : the story of the church in Newnham, 1969Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- The Weekly Courier newspaper, 14 Jul 1906, p. 23, photographer unknownTasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- Geoffrey Stephens, The Anglican Church in Tasmania : a diocesan history to mark the sesquicentenary : 1992, Hobart, 1991, p. 77 & 78Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Links
- Barney's Anglican Church
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
- The Examiner newspaper, 04 Jul 1906, p. 5
Tasmanian Pictorial Church Index
Services
Replaced
Open
Not recorded
Address
George Town Road, Newnham TAS 7248
Contact
Not recorded
Accessibility
Not recorded

